Rights and Humanity is an International Centre of Excellence on the implementation, measurement and evaluation of human rights and responsibilities.
Human rights affect every aspect of our lives. With such a broad potential agenda it is vital that Rights and Humanity focuses attention on a few specific issues. In two decades of thought leadership and action we have shown how human rights and responsibilities can be used in practice to address:
- poverty and social exclusion
- preventable ill-health
- violence against women, including harmful traditional practices
- inadequate access to water and sanitation
- discrimination on the grounds of disability
- inequalities arising within aid, trade and lending
- human needs in times of complex emergencies.
We have developed a special expertise on:
- Implementing, Measuring and Evaluating the Human Rights Approach to Development
- Public, Corporate and Individual Responsibilities
- Right to the Highest Attainable Standard of Physical and Mental Health
- Rights to Water and Sanitation
- Right to Development
- The Right to Participate in Cultural life – including issues of respect for cultural identity.
Over the years we have brought our positive, multi-faith, multi-cultural approach to bear on:
- the realisation of human rights and responsibilities as a basis for poverty elimination, social inclusion and equitable development
- promotion of a culture of respect for human rights and responsibilities as a tool for peace and cooperation
Some current priority issues include:
Our geographical focus is global in terms of international law and policy but we have particular experience of working in Africa, Europe and the Middle East.